The Shadows on BBC TV

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, George Geddes, Facebook Link

Re: The Shadows on BBC TV

Postby StuartD » 13 Feb 2014, 13:09

Am I imagining this or did the Shads back Jimmy Tarbuck on a Christmas Day TV show. I thought they did 'It's in her Kiss'. I may be wrong""

Stuart
StuartD

Postby GoldenStreet » 13 Feb 2014, 13:21

drakula63 wrote:Does anyone have a date for this performance or the previously mentioned Jim'll Fix It one...?????

The Jim'll Fix It transmission date for Cliff and the Shads was 19th July, 1975.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby JimN » 13 Feb 2014, 13:25

StuartD wrote:Am I imagining this or did the Shads back Jimmy Tarbuck on a Christmas Day TV show. I thought they did 'It's in her Kiss'. I may be wrong

You are not wrong.

It was Christmas Day 1965 (the same programme which contained the four-piano version of Wonderful Land, with all four Shadows each playing on a piano).
JimN

Postby chronikman-ch » 13 Feb 2014, 13:27

[quote="drakula63"]Thanks to Ivo Koers for this list of the Shadows UK TV appearances. He emailed to me but I thought it would be of interest to others, so I have cut and pasted it here. Thanks again Ivo, very interesting indeed...

All tracks have been performed live, unless otherwise stated. “Pre-recorded” means that the recording heard is a special version of a track made for the specific show.

Name of TV show: unknown show for Queen Elizabeth
Date: Early 1962
Tracks: “F.B.I.” (audio of a live performance of “Apache”)

Date: 22.3.1962
hmr
Attachments
nme16.3.62_22.3.62.JPG
(135.38 KiB) Downloaded 5005 times
chronikman-ch

Postby StuartD » 13 Feb 2014, 15:41

JimN wrote:
StuartD wrote:Am I imagining this or did the Shads back Jimmy Tarbuck on a Christmas Day TV show. I thought they did 'It's in her Kiss'. I may be wrong

You are not wrong.

It was Christmas Day 1965 (the same programme which contained the four-piano version of Wonderful Land, with all four Shadows each playing on a piano).

Thanks Jim. Thought I hadn't imagined that. Green Marvins i think!!

Stu
StuartD

Postby drakula63 » 13 Feb 2014, 16:10

GoldenStreet wrote:
drakula63 wrote:Does anyone have a date for this performance or the previously mentioned Jim'll Fix It one...?????

The Jim'll Fix It transmission date for Cliff and the Shads was 19th July, 1975.

Bill

THANKS!!!

I've just remembered something...

In 1985 I visited John Friesen's parents in Middlesex. I wanted to see John but he wasn't there. Whilst I was there we got talking about all things Shads and they told me that they had a video tape somewhere of Cliff and the Shadows singing 'Love De Luxe'. They said they'd look it out for me 'next time'. Sadly, there never was a next time. Could THIS be what they were thinking of...????
drakula63

Postby Iain Purdon » 13 Feb 2014, 17:47

George Geddes wrote:From memory (ha!) they also played Argentina on the Lena Martell show (which was, I recall, filmed in Glasgow...)

There was an observation gallery overlooking BBC Studio A Glasgow. From it I watched them doing Argentina. Hank was in a multicoloured jacket, George Ford was on bass.
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby EJK » 13 Feb 2014, 20:46

Although it's not BBC TV I taped them on an ITV (ATV Showtime?) show on, from my tape notes which are a bit faded now, it looks like 6th April 1968. They played Naughty Nippon Nights then London's Not Too Far. Naughty Nippon Nights was not mimed to the original LP recording as this version is much better especially from John Rostill. Whether they recorded it in the TV studios then mimed to it or played it live I cannot recall however it was a great version. Does ayone have any info on this programme and have these recordings survived?

Unfortunately I cannot play the tape as the tape recorder gave up the ghost a few years ago.
EJK

Postby Iain Purdon » 14 Feb 2014, 00:34

The only time I saw the Shadows doing Naughty Nippon Nights on TV, Licorice was on bass which, I assume, is because it was done at the time he came back to help out when John was in hospital. Whether what I saw is the performance you recorded or another one I don't know. Either way it would have been early 1968 and there is a gap in Ivo's list between Dec 67 and Jun 68. So we need more info!
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Postby UlrichS » 14 Feb 2014, 15:02

Hi all,

Ivo, thanks for your list. A few additions:

22. September 1963 - ATV Sunday Night At The London Palladium

30. November 1963 - Thank You Lucky Stars
Artists: Kathy Kirby, Freddie & The Dreamers, Kenny Ball, Kenny Lynch, The Shadows, Dusty Springfield
Unfortunately I don't know the titles played by The Shadows

30. July 1967 - Blackpool Night Out
Bombay Duck, Sleepwalk, Foot Tapper, San Francisco (all pre-recorded or live, I only have the audio recording)

1. May 1968 - The Jimmy Tarbuck Show
Nivram / Apache / Wonderful Land / Congratulations (live, The Shads foole around with Jimmy Tarbuck during this medley)
Dear Old Mrs. Bell (pre-recorded or played live)
Puttin' On The Style (live, featuring The Shads and Jimmy Tarbuck on vocals)

5. May 1968 - The BIG Show
Naughty Nippon Nights, London's Not Too Far (pre-recorded or played live)

4. January 1975 - BBC It’s Lulu - No No Nina
11. January 1975 - BBC It’s Lulu - This House Runs On Sunshine
18. January 1975 - BBC It’s Lulu - Don’t Throw It All Away
25. January 1975 - BBC It’s Lulu - Cool Clear Air
1. February 1975 - BBC It’s Lulu - Stand Up Like A Man
8. February 1975 - BBC It’s Lulu - Let Me Be The One
15. February 1975 - BBC It’s Lulu - No No Nina, This House Runs On Sunshine, Don’t Throw It All Away, Cool Clear Air, Stand Up Like A Man, Let Me Be The One
23. February 1975 - BBC It’s Lulu – Let Me Be The One
(For completeness: the voting results were Let Me Be The One [17,477], Stand Up Like A Man [14,294], This House Runs On Sunshine [10,451], Don’t Throw It All Away [3,099], Cool, Clear Air [1,601] and No No Nina [1,261])

Hope this is of some use,

Ulrich
UlrichS

PreviousNext

Return to The Main Board