The Shadows on BBC TV

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows on BBC TV

Postby drakula63 » 14 Feb 2014, 16:41

Iain_P wrote:
George Geddes wrote:From memory (ha!) they also played Argentina on the Lena Martell show (which was, I recall, filmed in Glasgow...)

There was an observation gallery overlooking BBC Studio A Glasgow. From it I watched them doing Argentina. Hank was in a multicoloured jacket, George Ford was on bass.

Now that you mention it, I remember thinking at the time 'Why aren't they playing the theme from the Deerhunter...?'
drakula63

Postby drakula63 » 17 Feb 2014, 17:12

GoldenStreet wrote:
drakula63 wrote:Does anyone have a date for this performance or the previously mentioned Jim'll Fix It one...?????

The Jim'll Fix It transmission date for Cliff and the Shads was 19th July, 1975.

Bill

Bill,

As you seem to be in the know, or have a very good memory, do you have any dates for The Shads appearance on TOTP with Let Me Be The One...?

Ta!

Chris
drakula63

Postby GoldenStreet » 18 Feb 2014, 11:21

drakula63 wrote:
GoldenStreet wrote:
drakula63 wrote:Does anyone have a date for this performance or the previously mentioned Jim'll Fix It one...?????

The Jim'll Fix It transmission date for Cliff and the Shads was 19th July, 1975.

Bill

Bill,

As you seem to be in the know, or have a very good memory, do you have any dates for The Shads appearance on TOTP with Let Me Be The One...?

Ta!

Chris

Chris,

My researches have unearthed these two dates...

http://totp.heroku.com/music/artists/c7 ... f384310bbb

Bill
GoldenStreet

Postby drakula63 » 18 Feb 2014, 11:31

Brilliant!!! Thanks!!! :D
drakula63

Postby Tracy » 20 Oct 2014, 12:26

Name of TV show: “Swap Shop”
Date: 1981
Tracks: “This Ole House” (original studio recording with live drums and vocals from the audience)[/b][/b]

Hi everyone - I'm really hoping someone can help me. Does anyone know if a video recording of the above TV appearance exists? I won a competition live on Swap Shop in 1981 and got to be on stage with The Shadows whilst they performed- my 5 minutes of fame! I was only young at the time but the memory is still as clear as a bell - and I would so love to see this video! I have searched the internet time and again over the years to try to get hold of a copy, but sadly to no avail...

If anyone can help I'd love to hear from you!

Tracy
Tracy

Postby Fenderman » 20 Oct 2014, 19:38

The recording of 'The going gets tough' from 1989 was recorded on a show hosted by the (then) young Michael Barrymore, i think the Shads were touring at the time and played this to promote the album.
Fenderman

Postby JimN » 20 Oct 2014, 20:01

UlrichS wrote:Hi all,

Ivo, thanks for your list. A few additions:

[ ... ]

30. November 1963 - Thank You[r] Lucky Stars [ABC Television, Teddington]
Artists: Kathy Kirby, Freddie & The Dreamers, Kenny Ball, Kenny Lynch, The Shadows, Dusty Springfield
Unfortunately I don't know the titles played by The Shadows.
Ulrich

No songs were actually played ("Thank Your Lucky Stars" was a mime-only show for the first five or so years of its run).

However, on that edition, The Shadows, still including Licorice on bass, mimed to both sides of the Geronimo single, starting with Shazam!. I remember it to this day...
JimN

Previous

Return to The Main Board