Australian DVD release

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Australian DVD release

Postby JimN » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:19 pm

https://shop.abc.net.au/products/bandstand-the-shadows-and-cilla-black-1968-dvd

Blurb:

Created by TCN-9 executive Bruce Gyngell and modelled on the successful American musical/variety show of the same name, Bandstand was hosted by the ever-charming Brian Henderson and set the TV standard for 14 entertaining years, showcasing the very best of Australian and international Pop and Rock'N'Roll music of the 60s and 70s.

In 1968 Bandstand celebrated two of Britain's biggest recording acts - broadcasting studio performances of legendary guitar rock outfit THE SHADOWS and chanteuse sensation CILLA BLACK.

Pioneers of the four-member instrumental format at the forefront of the UK's beat-group boom, The Shadows (Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch, John Farrar and Brian Bennett) deliver a guitar driven set list including Bombay Duck, The Day I Met Marie, Last Train To Clarksville, Dear Old Mrs Bell and The Rise And Fall of Fingal Bunt. Including a humorous sit down interview with Bruce and Hank, the show also features performances from Jesse Davis, Marcie And The Cookies, Allan Dean and local legend Olivia Newton-John singing Love Never Dies and Today (alongside Bandstand regular Pat Carroll).

Superstar songstress Cilla Black delivers a string of her greatest hits including You're My World, Follow Me, What The World Needs Now, Step Inside Love, It's For You, Suddenly You Love Me and joins Brian for an illuminating interview. Also featured on the show are performances from local crooner Don Spencer, guitarist George Golla and British folk singer Roger Whittaker.

John Farrar appearing with The Shadows as early as 1968, eh? ;) And this may explain the Marcie and the Cookies connection with the 1969 Cliff/Shadows UK tour.

And what about "British" Roger Whittaker?

Still at $15AU, it sounds a bargain.

Leo's Den?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: Australian DVD release

Postby drakula63 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:02 pm

Yeah. A good deal. A shame about the Farrar/Rostill confusion though. :(
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby cockroach » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:29 pm

I have a compilation of clips from that TV show covering earlier years- including a Shadows special from 1967, but unfortunately it's all mimed, as most TV pop shows here in OZ were in those days..so this one may be mimed also..still, it's cheap!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby UlrichS » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:13 pm

It surely is a very interesting DVD, however it's Region 4, which means you need an all-region player here in Europe.

Ulrich
UlrichS

Full Real Name: Sasu, Ulrich

Postby JimN » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:08 pm

UlrichS wrote:It surely is a very interesting DVD, however it's Region 4, which means you need an all-region player here in Europe.

Ulrich

What one can do when buying a DVD which is only available in (say) Region 1 is to rip the content to a computer and burn it back to a region-free DVD-R.

I've seen it done with commercial DVDs of "Bye Bye Birdie" and "Telling Lies In America", neither of which were available in Region 2.

It worked perfectly with DVD-Decrypter or similar.
Last edited by JimN on Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Didier » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:43 am

UlrichS wrote:It surely is a very interesting DVD, however it's Region 4, which means you need an all-region player here in Europe.

Ulrich

Music DVDs are often region free, that's the case for the DVDs by the Australian Pink Floyd Show that I bought from Australia.

Many DVD players can be set to all regions with a secret code which can be found on the net, otherwise you may use Jim's trick.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby anniv 63 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:33 am

Quite a lot of Bandstand clips on You Tube, including the Shadows miming these tracks.
Many quite rare performances including some wee laddies called the Bee Gees, even tackling
a Shads vocal!!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby Twilight Ranger » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:25 am

Anyone can easily rip a DVD with a free programme called DVD Shrink.
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dv ... shrink.cfm

You can Google for instructions as to how to use it, and you need another programme to burn the new disc. DVD Shrink suggests Nero for that but some other programmes work just as well. I have used ImgBurn.
"I have travelled the world through my ability to play three chords." - Bruce Welch
Twilight Ranger

Full Real Name: Lassi Vakkilainen

Postby Didier » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:24 am

Twilight Ranger wrote:Anyone can easily rip a DVD with a free programme called DVD Shrink.

This is what I have been using (not recently). Not sure that the final version (3.2) can bypass region code protection, but I have the 3.16 version which does.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Twilight Ranger » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:30 pm

If region codes cause problems, DVD43 can handle them. Using the programme just couldn't be easier: there are no settings to be made. It wouldn't even be possible since even though the installation creates an icon on the desktop, nothing happens if one tries to double-click it! :D DVD43 is very useful as it tells the DVD drive that the inserted DVD always has the same region code as the DVD that was played before it. Consequently it prevents the DVD region from locking after five region changes, which can happen with many drives.
http://www.dvd43.com/
"I have travelled the world through my ability to play three chords." - Bruce Welch
Twilight Ranger

Full Real Name: Lassi Vakkilainen

Next

Return to The Shadows