20 Golden Greats

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, JimN, dave robinson, George Geddes

Re: 20 Golden Greats

Postby MikeAB » 01 Jun 2017, 14:35

Did they play 'Honourable Puff Puff' at the Albert Hall?
MikeAB

Postby iefje » 01 Jun 2017, 14:48

MikeAB wrote:Did they play 'Honourable Puff Puff' at the Albert Hall?

To my knowledge, The Shadows played "Honourable Puff-Puff" for the first in 1975, without an extended drumsolo, just like the studio recording and included it on the setlist from the 1978 tour onwards as an extended drumsolo.
iefje

Postby drakula63 » 01 Jun 2017, 14:52

I don't think so. The drum solo for the 1977 tour was Little B.

By the way, for my dream live album as previously mentioned, I would probably have recorded both sets from Blackpool, Glasgow or Birmingham and then used the best performances of each song if one set was not quite up to scratch in its entirety.

I am currently working on a time machine and if/when I get it working, I shall go back to 1977 and see what I can arrange. Probably. :)
drakula63

Postby Moderne » 01 Jun 2017, 18:09

I guess EMI would have been anxious to avoid accusations of being over opportunistic; the 'Live at the Paris Olympia' LP was still on catalogue (and advertised on the inner sleeve of 20 GG) and plans were presumably already made to record the Cliff and The Shadows at the London Palladium concert and release an LP. They probably thought that a '20 Golden Dates' live album would have been over-egging the pudding - although I'm sure it would have enjoyed healthy sales. Most bands leave quite long gaps between live albums.

Talking of albums that never were -I think it's a shame that MWF never did an LP with Cliff. The songs they played together on Cliff's TV shows were superb. I've heard Love the One You're With, Down on the Corner, When I'm Dead and Gone and they all sound great. They also did My Sweet Lord and Keep the Customer Satisfied on the August Bank Holiday 1971 Getaway with Cliff show.
Moderne

Postby drakula63 » 01 Jun 2017, 19:13

Hmmm... I'm not entirely sure who would have accused EMI of being 'over opportunistic' and I'm not sure if they would have cared anyway; especially if they had a top 10 album at Christmas!

Still, I take your point that live albums are often few and far between. My point was that 'Live at the Paris Olympia', despite its quality, didn't really sell too well and isn't really representative of the Shadows. I can understand why the general public - and a great many Shadows fans - wouldn't have been overly excited by it. As a follow up to 20GG and with the format I suggest, I think a live album in '77 would have been a good risk. It never happened, sadly, and it's probably too late now - unless a really, really good live recording exists somewhere which could be released as a kind of 'legacy' album, as happens now with the likes of Deep Purple, the Sweet, Kiss and Bowie etc. An opportunity missed.

Having said all that, a COMPLETE version of 'Thank You Very Much' - including Wonderful Land, Walk Don't Run and Little B - would also be something that I'd run all the way to the amazon website to purchase!!

:D
drakula63

Postby iefje » 06 Jun 2017, 11:12

drakula63 wrote:Having said all that, a COMPLETE version of 'Thank You Very Much' - including Wonderful Land, Walk Don't Run and Little B - would also be something that I'd run all the way to the amazon website to purchase!! :D

Yes, that's what I really would like to see happening too. A Blu-Ray of the complete concert, remixed into 5.1 surround sound would be great. I don't think it will ever happen though...
iefje

Postby Fenderman » 06 Jun 2017, 21:09

I'd love to see a Shadows live through the years kind of collection with live sets not released (offficlally) yet such as the 1967 Japan shows or other bits and pieces.
Also, i believe there's a John Peel session from 1974 in the vaults that's never been released, that would be interesting to hear, as would the wealth of BBC tapes from 1964-1968 (they do exist, i have heard some on YouTube!) but that's probably wishful thinking.
Fenderman

Postby drakula63 » 06 Jun 2017, 22:54

Fenderman wrote:I'd love to see a Shadows live through the years kind of collection with live sets not released (offficlally) yet such as the 1967 Japan shows or other bits and pieces.
Also, i believe there's a John Peel session from 1974 in the vaults that's never been released, that would be interesting to hear, as would the wealth of BBC tapes from 1964-1968 (they do exist, i have heard some on YouTube!) but that's probably wishful thinking.

I've got the 'John Peel session' - Sounds on Sunday from 24 March 74. I'm sure many others have too, despite it never getting an official release. A couple of tracks from Rockin' With Curly Leads, but mostly old classics with plenty of generally amusing banter between Hank, Bruce and Mr Peel. All new BBC recordings with Mo Foster on bass.
drakula63

Postby Fenderman » 07 Jun 2017, 20:26

You have it? May i ask how you got it or is it a secret?
Fenderman

Postby Iain Purdon » 07 Jun 2017, 22:01

Fenderman wrote:You have it? May i ask how you got it or is it a secret?

Sssshhhh! Careless Talk Costs Lives!

... but do have a look at the bottom of this thread http://shadowmusic.bdme.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10001&p=71247
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Main Board