Session Guitarists

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Session Guitarists

Postby Mikey » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:17 pm

Moderne wrote:
Mikey wrote:I may be wrong but I'm sure that in that great book "The Restless Generation" there is reference to Judd being Hank's guitar tutor. Can anyone confirm this? If not I'll have to trawl throught the book but I won't mind that!

Ike Isaacs - another great British jazz guitarist - is the only name I've ever heard of who's given Hank any guitar lessons.
Clive

You're right it was Ike Isaacs. Yet another senior moment on my part I'm afraid :roll:
Mikey

Postby Pedro » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:17 pm

The knowledge on this site is amazing. When I started the thread and mentioned Judd Proctor I thought that was it. He was clearly a highly refarded guitarist.
Pedro

Postby JimTidmarsh » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:17 pm

I have an album from about 1987/88 of Tiri Te Kanawa singing a selection Gerswhin/Porter/Rodgers songs (a sort of crossover album for her) with some very laid back jazzy sounds. Judd Proctor is listed as one of the guitarists and some of his solos are beautiful and idyllic. Reminds of what Hank was doing in a similar context with the slower numbers in the early days.
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Postby Pedro » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:45 am

These posts have certainly got me hooked on Judd Proctor. The only tune I have heard is the one on You Tube. Any other links available??
Pedro

Postby Pedro » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:44 pm

What Shadows records did Herbie Flowers perform on?. I read somewhere of his association with The Shadows and that's it.
Pedro

Postby StuartD » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Hi

Herbie Flowers is on some of the tracks on Shades of Rock. I remember Brian Bennet informing me he was on Memphis and i think he said he was the Bass player on Something.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby Mike Honey » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:01 pm

I maybe having a senior moment but i seem to remember in the dim and distant past that Judd Proctor was the resident guitarist on Brian Matthews' 'easybeat' on a sunday morning? He used to play a lot of the instrumental hits of the time.

mike
Mike Honey

Postby iefje » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:08 am

Moderne wrote:
Mikey wrote:I may be wrong but I'm sure that in that great book "The Restless Generation" there is reference to Judd being Hank's guitar tutor. Can anyone confirm this? If not I'll have to trawl throught the book but I won't mind that!

Ike Isaacs - another great British jazz guitarist - is the only name I've ever heard of who's given Hank any guitar lessons. I'm also guessing he may have been the original link with Jim Burns, as I believe Ike had endorsed Burns guitars in the early 60s.

BTW The Plainsman by Judd Proctor is my favourite of all his Parlophone sides. He was also one of the "50 Fingers, Five Guitars" group that Ian Fraser put together for an early 60s Decca 'guitar orchestra' project.

Clive

Is this the same Ike Isaacs, who wrote the instrumental "The Rumble", issued on The Shadows' second album "Out Of The Shadows"?
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Previous

Return to The Shadows