Looking for either a home or the bin

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, JimN, George Geddes

Re: ShadowMusic - the future of this website

Postby Stan666 » 28 Jan 2024, 08:57

Task I mean.
Stan666

Postby KurtFroberg » 28 Jan 2024, 16:03

Indeed sad news. I have also been a member since the early days with David Martin. I go here almost every day and that is a proof that I find it still interesting.
I always find Dave Robinson’s hunt for THAT sound with not very expensive equipment very good. He has given me several good inputs especially regarding amps and echoes. I know many agree about that.
And this forum has always been THE Shadows Music forum. We have several Shadows ”experts” and writers as members here. It will be a great loss if it would end. And as long as there are still original members of The Shadows alive I think its existence can be justified. And we still now and then have releases with Shadows (live) material.
I am not sure that a Facebook group would be the same…

Kurt Fröberg
KurtFroberg

Postby iefje » 29 Jan 2024, 09:59

I have been a member of this community since September, 2000, when I found it by coincidence. I have got the same routine as so many other members: I always start my day by taking a look at the forum for any news and other interesting information. Previously, I naively always thought that all forum members like every track The Shadows have ever released, but the reality is so much different. Also, the forum has provided me with a lot of interesting details about everything The Shadows and over time, I have frequently submitted information I had come across.

It's a pity that the forum as we know it will cease to exist, but I can understand the reason for ending it. The reality is that nothing will last forever, so also our beloved Shadow Music forum has to come to an end. I would like to thank the entire team behind the scenes for operating this website for all those years. Luckily, there's some consolation for the fact that all previously added information will stay available for looking up.
iefje

Postby Keith Bateman » 29 Jan 2024, 13:31

I too will miss this site very much. Like others it is one of the first I go to in the morning and frequently check during the day.

I've been a member since 2009 and, whilst not a prolific poster, I derive much pleasure from keeping up with the community and gleaning valuable information on releases, equipment, etc. and any news on the current activities of Hank, Bruce and Brian.

All good things must come to an end I suppose but there is still the possibility of Shadows happenings such as Brian's long-awaited book and new CDs from Hank whilst he is still enjoying playing, recording and making appearances.

I must admit to not being in favour of a Facebook version as I've never felt comfortable with social media.

I thank all involved in providing this site over the years and I sincerely hope there is still sufficient interest to keep it alive.
Keith Bateman

Postby barryg » 29 Jan 2024, 23:45

I'm amazed to see this post about the future and demise of this popular music website that was posted 3 days ago and in that time it has had 2815 views but there have only been 11 written replies to this. I thought there would have been hundreds of replies crying out for the site to continue somehow but it seems no one wants to want to support it staying live. If a large number of members were to say they would like the site to continue then maybe there would be a way it could be done. I think it's a disappointing response so far giving a clear indication to it's future.

Barry
barryg

Postby JimTidmarsh » 30 Jan 2024, 11:18

I'll be sad to see this go but fully understand the reasons why - after all we are all getting on a bit!

I would love the idea of a move to Facebook & would support any such initiative 100%,
JimTidmarsh

Postby Phrygian » 30 Jan 2024, 14:36

I am a late comer to The Shadows and this site. I have learned a great deal here and would like to thank the moderators and contributors for your help and knowledge!
Phrygian

Postby chris mcbain » 31 Jan 2024, 12:27

Yes sad news if the site does close down I like many others visit the site most mornings and most nights, I suppose most of the people on this site are getting on
a bit now although we must have some younger members , when I say younger these are probably in their 60 s, I am 71 now and if I had the know how would
probably offer to take over some of the running of the site. BUT have absolutely no idea of costs etc etc etc and very little computer know how so that's me out,
hopefully some with the knowledge and a younger brain may take over. One last thing Elvis /Buddy Holly have been dead 50/60 years and still as popular as when
the were alive on various sites and forums so lets try to keep the Shadows music playing.
Big thank you to the people involved in running the site over the last 25 years.

Chris.
chris mcbain

Postby bazmusicman » 31 Jan 2024, 13:32

Like a lot of people on here I have been a member from the early days (2009) and at 80 with Nueropathy I can't do the things I used to do.
I can't play 6 string guitar like I used to, and because of that I have been learning Pedal Steel Guitar for the past three years. It's a lot harder
mentally......but easier physically, and It keeps me in the 'music loop' so to speak.

I still look into this site every day because of my love for The Shadows music which I (we) grew up on. It would be a shame if we were to
lose it. I appreciate the work and effort the admin team put into running a site like this, and it would be a shame if it was to close.

Regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Postby Garystrat » 01 Feb 2024, 00:01

Many thanks and congratulations to all those who have made ShadowMusic so successful over the years, whilst it’s sad and seems like the end of an era, I can fully understand the decision and can see that you have put a lot thought into the option of an open archive for posterity!

As Iain says, personal interests are as strong as ever and I’m sure this hasn’t been an easy decision for anyone, but “The Shadows” have completed the wonderful journey they have taken us on over the years, perhaps now is the time to reflect and look back in a positive celebration to what has been a fantastic gig?

I think it would be very appropriate to have a section on the frozen site mentioning the individuals past and present who have contributed so much over the years, this would include all the site management and others like Steve Reynolds and Paul Rossiter, plus those involved in events like Shadowmania. Where possible including web links to specific articles and YT videos.

I am not fan of Facebook, but I have a strong feeling that someone out there is going to continue the story to the next chapter “The Shadows and Beyond”?

Best wishes to all

Gary
Garystrat

PreviousNext

Return to Various old postings