Did They Use JMI or Vox

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Did They Use JMI or Vox

Postby Picker » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:50 pm

I wonder if anyone over in Europe can tell me did the Shadows use JMI amps throughout the whole tour or did they change to Vox ? when they left UK shores.
I have just seen a video on YouTube of Cliff & The Shadows singing the blues 2009 and the Shadows are playing through Vox Amps Hank as well !!!
It is not one of the tour concerts it looks more like a TV show but why would the Shadows have a Vox back line when the tour seemed to be JMI ?
I am sure that they dont have any loyalties to Vox can anyone come up with a reason Why ?
In the search box on YouTube just type in [ Cliff Richard & The Shadows singing the blues 2009]
and there they are playing through Vox.
Cheers Rob.
Picker

Re: Did They Use JMI or Vox

Postby John M » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:16 pm

Definitely Vox units on the stage.
But they are not miked-up., although Hanks seems to have a jack plug in the top of the amp.
probably just for show, and possibly they mimed to a pre recorded track.
As far as I'm aware they used JMI's thru the tour.
Apparently there have been issues in the past with reliability of Vox amps on tour.
However there are people on the site here who are more up to speed on these details than I am.
Bear in mind also that for a time Hank Marvin was using Matchless DC 30's on the road for his own tours.
John M

Full Real Name: john miller

Postby Picker » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi John, yes and I believe that Hank also used the KCP signature Amp for some of his own tours and on the 2004 Shadows final tour, I have that on very good authority.
What I cannot find any sense in is the fact that even if they were miming why would they have a back line of Vox why not just use the JMI's they had with them
for the tour. I have read about the reliability issue of Vox just as you say, so the same question arises "Why use them" but they are very clearly Vox and this would genuinely be 2009, as the song was not released until 2009. Can't work it out why they would do this.
Rob
Picker

Postby dave robinson » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:01 am

This is perhaps beacause the gear that they use on mimed TV shows is usually hired in by the TV company. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Didier » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:41 am

Picker wrote:I have just seen a video on YouTube of Cliff & The Shadows singing the blues 2009 and the Shadows are playing through Vox Amps Hank as well !!!

If it's the video you have seen, it's not from the Final Reunion tour, it's from a TV show, and most likely in playback.

At the Paris concert from the Final Reunion tour on november 9th 2009, Hank and Bruce were playing with JMI amps.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Didier » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:52 am

Picker wrote:Hi John, yes and I believe that Hank also used the KCP signature Amp for some of his own tours and on the 2004 Shadows final tour,

On the Final Tour 2004, Hank used a KCP amp, and Bruce a Vox AC30.
On the Final Tour 2005, they started with Pinnacle amps, but they failed, so after a few concert with borrowed amps, they ended the tour with Hank using a Matchless amp head (backstage) feeding a Pinnacle amp (on stage, with the control panel hidden) used as a passive speaker cabinet, and Bruce using a Vox AC30.

Didier
Didier

Postby Picker » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:16 am

Hi Didier,
Yes that is the YouTube clip I meant, and I think Dave Robinson has actually answered the question for me, I never thought that they would have
gear hired for them for a show.
My stupid brain automatically thinks Hank takes his guitar everywhere with him if he is performing, so The Shadows hike their gear around like we used to
completely forgetting when you get into a different league that people would be falling over themselves for Cliff & The Shadows.
But it makes complete sense, I think I will have to engage brain before opening mouth
Rob
Picker

Postby bassboogie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:13 pm

Hi All,

Guess what Mark Griffiths is also using a Vox amp.

Is Brian Bennett playing Vox drums?

Regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby Didier » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:09 pm

bassboogie wrote:Guess what Mark Griffiths is also using a Vox amp.

During the Final Tour, Mark Griffith was using an AER Basscube amp. I don't know what he used for the Final Reunion tour.
Didier

Postby Didier » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:13 pm

bassboogie wrote:Is Brian Bennett playing Vox drums?

During the Final Reunion tour, Brian Bennett was using a DW drum kit...

Didier
Didier

Next

Return to The Shadows