HOW TO GET "THAT SOUND" ON TOUR ??

The Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity by former members of this community

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, JimN, George Geddes

HOW TO GET "THAT SOUND" ON TOUR ??

Postby Stratpicker » 25 Sep 2009, 08:00

Is it just me?
I cannot understand why Hank tried various recipes of guitar+pickup+string combination and still changes guitars every few tunes when all he had to do was BORROW 34346 off Bruce - BINGO!!
Original guitar = original sound.
It hasnt been mentioned but I find it amazing in this throw away society that the Original Strat is still working with the Original band and is still in constant use. Thats what they were made for!!
Stratpicker
Stratpicker

Re: HOW TO GET "THAT SOUND" ON TOUR ??

Postby Bojan » 25 Sep 2009, 08:37

I guess Hank doesn't want to play with a "borrowed" guitar . . . :P By the way, how come 34346 went to Bruce anyway? Shouldn't it have gone to Hank, I mean, Cliff did initially purchase it for him and he did play some memorable songs on it. So, What's the story here?
Bojan

Postby Didier » 25 Sep 2009, 08:37

Stratpicker wrote:Original guitar = original sound.

The only trouble is that Hank doesn't want to come back to his original sound. He doesn't even want to use the "vintage" sound settings on the TVS3.

Didier
Didier

Postby Didier » 25 Sep 2009, 08:53

Bojan wrote:I guess Hank doesn't want to play with a "borrowed" guitar . . . :P By the way, how come 34346 went to Bruce anyway? Shouldn't it have gone to Hank, I mean, Cliff did initially purchase it for him and he did play some memorable songs on it. So, What's the story here?

When the Shadows received their matched Strats (with rosewood fingerboard) from JMI in 1961, Hank gave back the original 34346 Strat to Cliff, who kept it for many years before giving it to Bruce during the seventies.

Didier
Didier

Postby Bojan » 25 Sep 2009, 10:23

Merci Didier! :)
Bojan

Postby fenderplucker » 25 Sep 2009, 14:52

Hi,

Hank is very particular about guitar playability, and in particular the neck profile and radius. My guess is that he is now used to a modern, less clubby profile and larger radius neck than on the original 34346 Strat. I gather that this might have also been an issue with the Oasis Strat, which is faithful to that original. Given the choice I think he would ultimately go for playability over sound.

From the comments on sound from the concerts so far it would seem that the CS54-TVS3_JMI (aka VOX) AC30 combination is working rather well (and he is using the vintage setting on the TVS3).

Regards,

Paul.
fenderplucker

Postby stagetech » 25 Sep 2009, 20:19

That Strat:
According to Bruce, Cliff gave him the guitar as a thankyou for the wired for sound album that Bruce produced.
According to Cliff, Bruce asked to borrow it and over 30 years ago and simply never gave it back! Bruce recently admitted that this is in fact true. It was painted white when Bruce acquired it, he had it restored back to red.
stagetech

Postby Tone » 25 Sep 2009, 23:35

........and Bruce says Cliff will never get it back!

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Return to The Main Board