The Shadows Stolen Guitars

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: The Shadows Stolen Guitars

Postby cockroach » Sat May 21, 2011 3:57 pm

I bet some or all of the stolen guitars have at some stage been offered for sale on e-Bay?

They must be somewhere...even if only in some collectors stash locked away somewhere..

As folk have said, Hank could probably care less..and let's face it, they were supplied (given) most of their guitars throughout their careers, at least early on...
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby tim.cooper5 » Sat May 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi All

Slightly off topic, but did'nt the man in the pink jacket have a load of gear stolen on a USA tour in the early eighties?

Tim
tim.cooper5

Postby Stageleft » Sun May 22, 2011 10:02 am

Yes we were rehearsing in the SIR studios in Los Angeles from Feb 25th to Feb 28th and packed all the equipment into a rental van to go to Seattle the next day for a 9 week US and Canada tour. We awoke the next morning to find the van and all the equipment gone. It was never found. A new set of gear rapidly assembled and we went up to Seattle for the gig. JJ
Stageleft

Full Real Name: john james

Postby Stageleft » Sun May 22, 2011 10:05 am

Oops missed out the year it was 1981. JJ
Stageleft

Full Real Name: john james

Postby tim.cooper5 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:33 pm

It must have been quite a challenge in getting replacement gear quickly.

Also a bit tricky for the musicians, who I guess must have lost their favourite instruments that they knew inside out.

Tim.
tim.cooper5

Postby roninnes » Mon May 23, 2011 9:20 pm

Stuart,
Any idea what happened to Roy Lemmon? I used to work with his wife Sue in Birmingham at a tour operator owned by Doug Ellis, she then moved to the London office and they lived in Richmond in the same building as Labi Sifri.
I lost touch with him and just wondered if you knew.

Cheers
Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Postby StuartD » Tue May 24, 2011 9:17 am

Hi Ron

I haven't a clue. The last time I saw him was at Abbey Road when they were recording Rockin' with Curly Leads. He called in and said he was leaving that day. I never saw him again.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby dusty fretz » Tue May 24, 2011 12:26 pm

I seem to recall an apocryphal anecdote that's relevant and therefore worth relating here. Apparently, a few years back Hank was over on the continent somewhere doing a signing session. Among the articles presented for his autograph was a green sunburst Marvin, which he immediately recognised as his long stolen six-string via the distinctive, decidedly misaligned scratchplate section on the upper body horn. He commented on the fact, but made light of the matter and certainly wasn't interested in pursuing any course of enquiry so long after the event.
dusty fretz

Postby Didier » Tue May 24, 2011 1:00 pm

tim.cooper5 wrote:Also a bit tricky for the musicians, who I guess must have lost their favourite instruments that they knew inside out.

Were they still their favorite instruments ?
Obviously they didn't search for the same as replacement...

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby iefje » Tue May 24, 2011 1:15 pm

StuartD wrote:Hi Ron

I haven't a clue. The last time I saw him was at Abbey Road when they were recording Rockin' with Curly Leads. He called in and said he was leaving that day. I never saw him again.

Regards

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I'm interested, do you remember on which date it was, you saw The Shads recording at Abbey Road?

All the best,
Ivo.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows