Shakin All Over ... again

Sound and video clips featuring former members of this site. Also, backing tracks, tab, chord charts and other aids to performance

Shakin All Over ... again

Postby Uncle Fiesta » 21 May 2023, 10:52

Okay, you asked for it!

Recorded in a very rudimentary way, in a Bristol bedroom in 1977, I think this was one of the last recordings I did on the 4000DS, as I bought a cassette deck the following year, so could now bounce from one recorder to the other in stereo.

So my recordings still sounded awful, but now they could be awful in both ears instead of just one.

For the anoraks, there's a list of equipment used, etc, in the description under the video.

Uncle Fiesta

Re: Shakin All Over ... again

Postby Garystrat » 22 May 2023, 12:26

Hi Steve,

It does sound a little like it’s been recorded at the bottom of a fish tank, but with reel to reel recorders like the 4000DS, no proper mic’ing and having to do it all in single takes in a bedroom environment with limited effects is less than ideal, the important thing is you were enjoying it!

When you think back to the laborious re-recording techniques you describe, imagine back then being able to record to a BT with a DAW and a “fistful” of plugins! LOL?

Presumably, you’re still playing and recording, if I may ask what are you using now?

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Postby Uncle Fiesta » 22 May 2023, 13:58

Garystrat wrote:
Presumably, you’re still playing and recording, if I may ask what are you using now?

Here's a non-exhaustive list, and even this lot isn't state of the art!

Fostex VF-160 digital 16-track recorder
Line 6 Pod 2.0 modelling amp
Line 6 DL-4 Delay Modeler
Alesis SR-16 drum machine (but recently also bought a Zoom RT234 and a Yamaha DD65)
Various Boss pedals (DD-3 compressor, GE-7 equaliser, SD-2 Dual Overdrive etc)
Mellotron M4000D Mini
Korg MicroKorg
Behringer Model D
Kawai K1
Kawai K1r (x2!)
Emu Vintage Keys
Gizmotron 2
Ricky 4001 bass (just sold the Hofner 500/1)
... and of course more guitars than one can shake a stick at, newest 2 years old, oldest 43!
Uncle Fiesta

Postby Garystrat » 22 May 2023, 22:29

Thank you Steve, it’s nice to get a feel of where people are in terms of kit/recording methods when discussing things, as you probably gathered from my comments I’m well into the tech side of DAWs and plugins (although, I have recently invested in a Strymon Volante), but I suspect this is not something that interests you.

Listening to some of the numbers on your YT channel I really liked “Scarlett O’Hara”, “Lake Placid Blue” and “American patrol”!

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Postby Uncle Fiesta » 24 May 2023, 09:20

Thanks Gary, you're too kind!
Uncle Fiesta

Return to Music Making