Where are all the songwriters . . .

Sound and video clips featuring former members of this site. Also, backing tracks, tab, chord charts and other aids to performance

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, JimN, George Geddes

Re: Where are all the songwriters . . .

Postby Beebs » 19 Jun 2023, 01:01

Oh yea, there's far too many bullets but these are just getting the ideas down initially. Thanks Gary.'

rgds

Bob
Beebs

Postby Tigerdaisy » 19 Jun 2023, 11:08

Uncle Fiesta wrote:Nice, looking forward to hearing the finished product.

If you look back you will see that I have posted several of my original pieces on here (I also have several others in various stages of completion). But it seems most people are more interested in hearing the same old stuff repeated ad nauseam.

I get the same at Shadows clubs, when I play something original I look round the room and often notice I'm the only person listening.

If you hear a standout original song or instrumental you immediately take notice because there's always something unexpected about it. Sadly most 'new' stuff is depressingly 'old' or a thinly disguised 'been done before'.
I would expect that most 'guitarists' using this forum aren't that professional a player let alone being creative enough to be able to write great original songs...
Tigerdaisy

Postby MeBHank » 21 Jun 2023, 01:37

Tigerdaisy wrote:If you hear a standout original song or instrumental you immediately take notice because there's always something unexpected about it. Sadly most 'new' stuff is depressingly 'old' or a thinly disguised 'been done before'.
I would expect that most 'guitarists' using this forum aren't that professional a player let alone being creative enough to be able to write great original songs...

This.

I'm often asked on my gigs if I write my own material. My answer, adapted slightly for present company, is as follows:

As a Shadows fan one is spoilt with an incredible richness of melodies. I mean, for goodness' sake, the initial success of our heroes was down to Jerry Lordan. That sets the bar impossibly high; Jerry was, IMO, one of the greatest composers of pure melody of the entire modern music era. If I were to write a piece of music it would need to meet my own required standard of melody. That means it would need to be melodically superior to all music currently being released into the commercial market. That's an unreasonable expectation to have of myself, so I don't bother.

The ability to write quality melodies is a natural gift that cannot be taught. Some members here will have heard or met Matthew Green, keyboard player of The Shadowers. Matt is one of those people who possesses that rare gift. He can provide the initial spark and come up with beautiful musical ideas. Once that spark lights the touch paper, that's when I can contribute; that's when I can write to a certain extent. But I can only collaborate - I can't provide that creative idea myself.

The reality is that none of us here have ever written - and will never write - anything that could equal the sheer, flowing majesty of Atlantis, or the brave, bold, soaring grandeur of Apache. And maybe that's why so many of us are happy to humbly dedicate so much of our lives striving to express these beautiful, beloved, familiar tunes in the best way we can. That, after all, is one of the biggest foundation stones of our entire worldwide community.
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Postby Beebs » 21 Jun 2023, 06:43

Hi Justin,
Not sure if it's a fruitless endeavour altogether Justin. The goal I would think is to hear new material/ideas not necessarily to surpass Apache etc. Don't forget that a lot of the Shads songs were 'found' by the shadows beforehand.
I know I've had a lot of people ask for the backing tracks of some of my original songs so there is value in writing new stuff and it's certainly self satisfying.
I wouldn't write yourself off as not being able to institute a new idea from the beginning either Justin, I'm confident you can do it, basically needs a verse and a chorus and you're off and running. Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated.

Rgds

Bob Brown
Beebs

Postby Beebs » 21 Jun 2023, 06:48

Actually Justin, let's prove a point here - send me an mp3 of something you can humm or whistle and we'll make it happen. If i think I can add to it I'll do just that then we can get a chorus up and running. I'm on hbmarvin@gmail.com

Bob
Beebs

Previous

Return to Music Making