My New G&L S500 Strat ...

Hints and tips on getting the sound you want. Includes anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; playing techniques; also amps, effects units, recording equipment and any other musical accessories.

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, JimN, George Geddes

Re: My New G&L S500 Strat ...

Postby dave robinson » 27 Aug 2014, 16:42

I've no doubt it's a great guitar Roger, but pointless for me as I have six Fender Strats', however, enjoy ! :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby roger bayliss » 27 Aug 2014, 17:59

Dave thanks mate

I bought this to replace a MIM Strat that I had for 14yrs approx. and it is a great replacement and something of an upgrade as far as I am concerned. Anyhow I could not be happier and I am very pleased with the choice I made. I might have a go at a sound file when I get the time and see how it records.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Postby ecca » 27 Aug 2014, 19:22

I was well impressed. I think I'm going to change the circuitry in one of my strats the same.
Strings a bit heavy for me but great neck with the 12"rad.
ecca

Postby roger bayliss » 27 Aug 2014, 20:26

Ecca ..... Everybody was saying how much you sounded like Hank ! :D
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Postby ecca » 27 Aug 2014, 21:00

Oh No !
ecca

Postby dave robinson » 27 Aug 2014, 21:47

I too like the flatter radius on my guitars these days, they're easier for me to play so maybe an excuse to by one Roger . . . . . . ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby cockroach » 28 Aug 2014, 10:27

Sorry, but it sounds like the fingerboard on the G&L might be similar to the American Carvin guitars.

I've tried these out, but although both brands are obviously very good guitars and wonderfully made and finished etc- I can't take the wider and flatter fingerboard/neck.

Conversely, I find that the necks on most modern Fenders and Squiers pretty are much perfect for my small hands.
cockroach

Postby dave robinson » 28 Aug 2014, 14:57

Funny you should mention that 'roach, I know a couple of mates who can't get on with the flat boards as well.
Personally I love them and a couple of my later Strats have flatter boards than the vintage models.
I'm torn between a PRS or the USA G & L Legacy if I'm allowed yet another guitar. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby ecca » 28 Aug 2014, 16:26

Where did you get it from Rog ?
ecca

Postby JimN » 28 Aug 2014, 17:07

G&L guitars are better-engineered than the equivalent Fender models.

That's a fact. Some may prefer the original engineering, but Leo did improve things - like Les Paul, he was always striving for improvement.

In particular (not mentioned so far), G&L pickups are fully-adjustable for string balance, just about the only quality "Fender-style" single-coil solids to which that applies.

On the other hand, they don't have the economies of scale that Fender enjoy, so tend to be more expensive like against like (USA v USA, Asian v Asian).
JimN

PreviousNext

Return to Guitars and Gear