My New G&L S500 Strat ...

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: My New G&L S500 Strat ...

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:02 am

Good job done Dave
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:11 pm

I used each of the G&L guitars on our show last night and they were superb. I am going to wire some of my Strats' to the same spec as the S-500 as I found it so versatile, the major delight was it covering for my Gretsch on the Duane Eddy tunes, it was a very similar tone to my 6120 and at the other end of the scale sounded very close to Hank's Strat for Cavatina, with the other sounds for songs across the spectrum. I'm really impressed with that tone stack and I could do with some ideas to give me a clue how to do it on a budget and order the parts to do a few. E.G. Would it be good to copy the exact switch for the extra pick up selection, or go for a 'push pull' as they have done on the later G&L models as well as the Strat ?
I know some of you are more technically minded than I and would appreciate any advice here. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:49 pm

Dave either type of switch would suffice but if \I were doing a push/pull or push/push switch I would probably put it on the treble (middle) pot like on my G&L S500. I think it is far neater than a simple toggle switch.

These are the pot values as quoted on G&L site.

Treble pot is - 500K Audio Taper
Bass pot is 1MegC - 1 Meg Reverse Audio Taper
Vol pot 250KA - 250K Audio Taper normal for strat

I dunno if the 5 way switch works same as a std strat switch but I assume it does.
roger bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:09 pm

Thanks Roger, I need to source those and work out whether or not I'm capable of wiring it all up. I'd love to be able to but if not I'll ask Craig at Axesrus. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby StuartD » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:28 pm

Hi Guys

Well I hope you are right because I've just ordered this beauty!! Seriously it was the discussion on here that got me started with one and I went and tried one yesterday. Must say the switching and tone controls are amazing. Got this from the States at a good price and it should be here next week!

Thanks Roger and Dave!!

Stuart
Attachments
$_57 jpeg.jpeg
(58.63 KiB) Downloaded 6800 times
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby dave robinson » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:55 pm

You'll love it Stuart. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:19 pm

Nice one Stuart I am sure it will be great but let us all know when you get it ... :)
roger bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:19 pm

I received some Allen screws and tiny nylon bushes for my vibrato arm free of charge from Chris Robosan at G&L and the thing works like a good 'un now, I love it. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Billyboygretsch » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:01 pm

I now feel I need one as well. Does anyone have any experience of the "Z " pick ups as fitted to the "Comanche. There seems a big difference in pricing. Where are they made and is the hardware the same ? Are the USA ones noticeably different
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Postby dave robinson » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:19 pm

They do the Comanche Tribute @ £540. I went for the S-500 because of the unusual pickups that were employed and they are different to Strat pickups but you can get the sound of a Strat if you want it by using the excellent tone controls.
The best price for a Legacy Tribute is through Thomann at under £300 for the blue one and just over £300 for the red or sunburst. As most people will have read, I own two G&L guitars and they are the Tribute models made in the far east. That said all the pickups and major bits are same as on the USA models -they are superb ! I can only assume that their USA made guitars will be terrific. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Gear