My New G&L S500 Strat ...

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: My New G&L S500 Strat ...

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:08 pm

C-C wrote:Thanks for the info,
I asked for a semi tone shift on the trem, but I can always alter it when I get it.
The shop I bought it from does a free check and setup so I will see what happens.
How many trem springs do they come with, Will the springs off a strat be able to fit if I need more.

They come fitted three springs in line and the trem block is looking like quality steel not alloy. If you want more springs fitted or to do a 'W' shape you need a Fender claw as there are only 3 spring tags ! Shame but I got mine working fine with it as stock and seems to be good on tuning and staying in tune now I got the setup sorted. As Dave says they are a great guitar and I bought mine to replace an old MIM Strat I had and it blows that away.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby C-C » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:45 am

Hi Dave and Roger,
Thanks for your opinions.
Like yourselves I also have other Strats my main playing one is an American deluxe with the N3s.
I use D'Addario exl115-3D 11s, On my deluxe, I have fitted 4 springs I like a firm tremolo
as I am a bit heavy handed, I do have spare springs and claws for the strat so hoping they fit the S500.
One of my Strats is a MIM standard which I have been using for experimenting with different pickups.
I am just after widening the tone ratio to The strat to save taking too many guitars when playing
Hoping the S500 will get me there.
As the S500 I am getting is a Tribute S500 don't know much more about it except it having a Natural body with Maple Fretbaoard.
Roll on Wednesday.
C-C.
C-C

Full Real Name: Carl Craig

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:27 pm

C-C wrote:Hi Dave and Roger,
Thanks for your opinions.
Like yourselves I also have other Strats my main playing one is an American deluxe with the N3s.
I use D'Addario exl115-3D 11s, On my deluxe, I have fitted 4 springs I like a firm tremolo
as I am a bit heavy handed, I do have spare springs and claws for the strat so hoping they fit the S500.
One of my Strats is a MIM standard which I have been using for experimenting with different pickups.
I am just after widening the tone ratio to The strat to save taking too many guitars when playing
Hoping the S500 will get me there.
As the S500 I am getting is a Tribute S500 don't know much more about it except it having a Natural body with Maple Fretbaoard.
Roll on Wednesday.
C-C.

Did the G&L work out OK Carl ?
roger bayliss

Postby C-C » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:03 am

Hi Roger,
Sorry its took time to respond,
The S500 is one of the best guitars I have played for a long time, I play it more than my other guitars.
It took me some time to get use to the tone controls but now I am getting there.
In the past I have been Tube rolling and changing pickups to expand the tone, and this guitar covers all I need.
I enjoy playing it through the new AC4c1 tv I have bought and it sounds great.
But I have just bought myself a Bugera V22 HD Infinium that came out earlier this year, Its a head amp
and I use it with the cab with the celestion gold speaker.
I am now totally happy with the range of tones I get with the S500.
In the new year I probably get the USA S500, But at the moment I am well suited.
So I guess -- THANKS -- is in line for Steering me towards the S500, A guitar I would not have tried.
Looking at your photo, Mine is identical to yours in Natural ash and metal type controls and Maple neck.
Best regards Carl.
C-C

Postby ecca » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:12 am

"I asked for a semi tone shift on the trem, but I can always alter it when I get it."

Semitone ?

I like an octave.
ecca

Postby C-C » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:13 am

I stopped using elastic bands 60 years ago,
I used guitar strings now.
C-C

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:02 am

C-C wrote:Hi Roger,
Sorry its took time to respond,
The S500 is one of the best guitars I have played for a long time, I play it more than my other guitars.
It took me some time to get use to the tone controls but now I am getting there.
In the past I have been Tube rolling and changing pickups to expand the tone, and this guitar covers all I need.
I enjoy playing it through the new AC4c1 tv I have bought and it sounds great.
But I have just bought myself a Bugera V22 HD Infinium that came out earlier this year, Its a head amp
and I use it with the cab with the celestion gold speaker.
I am now totally happy with the range of tones I get with the S500.
In the new year I probably get the USA S500, But at the moment I am well suited.
So I guess -- THANKS -- is in line for Steering me towards the S500, A guitar I would not have tried.
Looking at your photo, Mine is identical to yours in Natural ash and metal type controls and Maple neck.
Best regards Carl.

Nice one Carl glad it turned out right for you. Yes it sounds very much like mine with the Ash body. I agree they are a very versatile guitar and yes I still like mine and use it regularly. I recently bought a Hayden MOFO 3 0 Head and having a mate build me a cab with Celestion Vintage 30 12 inch. I will use the cab with the new head and the AC4 C! TV. The Hayden has been used at the club last few weeks and getting some great tones from it. 3 x ECC83 pre amp and 4 x EL84 power tubes. Master/gain and additional MOFO foot switchable boost make it quite a flexible amp. I did own an AC30 H2L till recently but have decided to get some lighter gear !
roger bayliss

Postby Billyboygretsch » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:32 am

Nice service from G&L service department. Sent me 5 bushes for my tremolo arm foc.
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Previous

Return to Gear