My New G&L S500 Strat ...

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: My New G&L S500 Strat ...

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:26 pm

rogera wrote:The 1M reverse audio (antilog) pot for the bass control can be found on Ebay.

Item number 111427094863 and specify C1M

Thanks Roger A. :D
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby chas » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:37 pm

Jim's explanation of reverse log (or anti log if you like) pots is spot on. Often described in the guitar parts world as left-hand for obvious reasons.

Chas.
chas

Full Real Name: Chas de Lacy

Postby dave robinson » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:31 pm

I've got AGC building me a new Strat pickguard with the S-500 tone circuit and I will add my own pickups. If successful I've suggested they provide the service for others to enjoy and they agreed it could be a new line. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby RayL » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:00 am

JimN wrote:Did you know that the double-ganged pot used for the tone control in a DeArmond 610 has one log pot and one anti-log pot on the same shaft?

Hi Jim
Volume controls use a log pot because of the way that the ear responds to changes of level. Tone controls on the other hand are normally linear because that's the way the ear reacts to changes in tone.

Does the DeArmond have dual-gang pots for both volume and tone? And are both of them log/antilog? And if so why would the tone pots be log/antilog just in that particular situation?
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Goingdownslow » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:49 pm

I have a left handed G&L Legacy...USA made in Fullerton Red....bought it on special order 20years ago from Sound Control in Salford.....been the best Strat I've ever had....and I've had a few......Quality is second to none and they didn't charge extra for the L/H model or the choice of colour.....unlike Fender who do and only give you a limited colour choice which varies on different production runs...
Haven't played the Tribute models but they look good value and should be a fine instrument for the price......
Fender seem to have lost the plot a bit to me....they keep producing endless variations and versions at all sorts of prices from all sorts of countries and factories....their customer service is hopeless and they trade on what is admittedly an excellent name.....good for you Roger for trying something different.....
Goingdownslow

Postby dave robinson » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:54 pm

Having used the Tribute on a few gigs, I can only imagine how good the USA versions of the instruments are, I know that I will buy one sooner or later. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:32 pm

Goingdownslow wrote:I have a left handed G&L Legacy...USA made in Fullerton Red....bought it on special order 20years ago from Sound Control in Salford.....been the best Strat I've ever had....and I've had a few......Quality is second to none and they didn't charge extra for the L/H model or the choice of colour.....unlike Fender who do and only give you a limited colour choice which varies on different production runs...
Haven't played the Tribute models but they look good value and should be a fine instrument for the price......
Fender seem to have lost the plot a bit to me....they keep producing endless variations and versions at all sorts of prices from all sorts of countries and factories....their customer service is hopeless and they trade on what is admittedly an excellent name.....good for you Roger for trying something different.....

That is a good endorsement for the USA models and confirmation to me of what I thought. The tribute S500 I have is a great guitar for the money and looks nice too well finished. It was not set-up when I bought it but I have done that myself. The USA ones get a Plek set-up as standard.

If I do buy a USA one I will be unsure whether or not to get a Legacy or another S500, but will probably opt for a Legacy.
roger bayliss

Postby JimN » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:17 pm

RayL wrote:
JimN wrote:Did you know that the double-ganged pot used for the tone control in a DeArmond 610 has one log pot and one anti-log pot on the same shaft?

Hi Jim
Volume controls use a log pot because of the way that the ear responds to changes of level. Tone controls on the other hand are normally linear because that's the way the ear reacts to changes in tone.

Does the DeArmond have dual-gang pots for both volume and tone? And are both of them log/antilog? And if so why would the tone pots be log/antilog just in that particular situation?
Ray

No, only the tone pot is dual-ganged (I now have several 610s hanging around...).

I know that there was some serious research done a few years ago into creating a (proper) replica of the DeArmond 610 (electronically, if not necessarily cosmetic). And it was the custom-manufacture of the double-ganged tone pot which proved to be the killer (since a large number of them had to be ordered as a production batch).

Had the necessary controls been linear, there would have been no need for a custom order...

PS: The tone pots work the opposite way round from each other (which is why the pedal cuts volume at every tone control setting).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:36 pm

JimN wrote:
dave robinson wrote:I'm struggling to find anybody who knows what 'revese audio taper not linear' means.
Does it mean a log pot instead of linear ?
:?

As you suggest, "audio" means "log[arithmic]", as opposed to linear.

Linear pots can be used either way round without difficulty; that is, you can wire it up for maximum resistance either clockwise or anti-clockwise. So there is no need for a reverse linear pot.

Log pots, on the other hand, have a resistance curve which is different at each end of the sweep (optimised for the way we perceive loudness). If you want one to use as a left-hand volume control, it will either work clockwise 0-10 like any other pot, or, if you get a reverse taper log pot, it can be wired up to produce 0 at the clockwise end of the control's sweep.

Did you know that the double-ganged pot used for the tone control in a DeArmond 610 has one log pot and one anti-log pot on the same shaft? That's because when moving the treadle left or right, one parameter (of bass or treble) is being increased whilst the other is being decreased. The two-pot tone control is the reason why the DeArmond works better than the superficially-similar Fender tone/volume pedal.

Interesting Jim I do have a set of photos and wiring info on the De Armond pedal from another source. However the info suggests Linear pots are used for the tone control and a need to reverse one of the pots tracks ! However after all this on Anti Log pots I am convinced that the Anti log / reverse Audio taper is actually what was used as they do not manufacture reverse Linear pots. The volume pot is quoted as 1m Audio from my info by the way which sounds correct.

I think I like the sound of Audio taper being used for the tone circuit as opposed to the Linear because it would make the sweep more pronounced. Seems right to me. Sadly the photos show the volume pot value but not the Tone pots values.
roger bayliss

Postby RayL » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:38 am

roger bayliss wrote: they do not manufacture reverse Linear pots.

As Jim hinted, by definition a linear pot is linear over its whole track so 'reverse linear' is the same as linear. A 'linear/reverse linear' is simply a dual-gang linear.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

PreviousNext

Return to Gear