Why did the Shadows shift to Burns guitars?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Why did the Shadows shift to Burns guitars?

Postby Didier » Mon May 13, 2013 11:09 am

dave robinson wrote:I suspect that the 'tuning' problems were indeed 'pilot error'

In his book, Bruce tells that tuning his guitar drove him so mad that in the end, he paid John Rostill to do it for him before each concert !

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Didier » Mon May 13, 2013 11:20 am

Paul Childs wrote:When they switched to Burns, have you noticed that around the same period the chart placings dropped with new releases after that and hardly anymore hits until the 70s when they switched back to Fender. That tells you something.

When I first saw the Shadows at the Paris Olympia in early 1961, Hank was still using the first Strat and a meazzi echo, and the sound was fabulous, much the same as what can be heard on the "Kingston" live CD recorded in 1962.
But when I saw them again in 1964, the sound was much different, not because of the Burns guitars, but because Hank used hardly any echo, and I liked it much less.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Paul Childs » Mon May 13, 2013 11:37 am

Didier wrote:
Paul Childs wrote:When they switched to Burns, have you noticed that around the same period the chart placings dropped with new releases after that and hardly anymore hits until the 70s when they switched back to Fender. That tells you something.

When I first saw the Shadows at the Paris Olympia in early 1961, Hank was still using the first Strat and a meazzi echo, and the sound was fabulous, much the same as what can be heard on the "Kingston" live CD recorded in 1962.
But when I saw them again in 1964, the sound was much different, not because of the Burns guitars, but because Hank used hardly any echo, and I liked it much less.

Didier

I think there was a period in the late 60s when Hank didn't use any echo, you can tell by the sound on some Youtube things and he has mentioned about re-creating their old sound when they reformed as The Shadows after the MWF era.

With the tuning problem, Bruce has mentioned in the past about not knowing anything about setups in those days so it was probably intonation more than tuning and even Hank put bits of paper under the strings on the nut on 34346 to stop it buzzing instead of adjusting the truss rod. It was set up perfectly years later when Bruce used it and no paper in the nut.
Paul Childs

Postby Gary Allen » Mon May 13, 2013 7:30 pm

It sort of went south when they started using Burns, Different image ? Sound ? Choice of material ? some good tunes in the burns era but would they have done any better in the charts if they had stuck to the previous format/sound when they dominated the charts.
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon May 13, 2013 11:57 pm

I'd say not. It had more to do with not finding material that would make hit singles. Public tastes changed and not many groups lasted all that long anyway.

Jet and Tony both felt the music went wrong after they left but I'm not sure it would have been different if they'd stayed.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby ecca » Tue May 14, 2013 7:02 am

Why did the Shadows shift to Burns guitars?
Because they'd taken leave of their senses.
ecca

Postby Paul Childs » Tue May 14, 2013 10:21 am

They made it back in the charts in the 70s when they used strats again.
Paul Childs

Postby Paul Childs » Tue May 14, 2013 10:24 am

Apart from Shadows music, what else can Burns guitars be used for? don't see them used by anyone else for any other style? whereas Strats are versatile.
Paul Childs

Postby ecca » Tue May 14, 2013 11:03 am

Paddles, beaver fodder, cricket bats.
ecca

Postby Rover » Tue May 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi, my understanding is that four Burrns Marvins were stolen from a van in April 1972, this is well documented elsewhere, but please correct me if I am wrong. A green one belonging to Bruce, two green ones and one white one belonging to Hank were taken. I also understand that Hank made efforts to obtain another Burns, but Baldwin had closed and the remaining guitars had all been sold. I did read somewhere that Hank borrowed a Burns for an appearance on a show, but this is unconfirmed. I also read that he appeared in Perth Australia with a white Burns in 1976, but again this is not confirmed.
Some of the latter comments on this thread make the authors look idiotic, I thought this was supposed to be a sensible and serious place for real Shadows enthusiasts. Do some of you really think that Hank and Bruce would have used Burns guitars if they were no good? Listen to Hank's solo album released in 1969, all tunes played on a Burns except one, and how brilliant is it?
regards Rover
Rover

Full Real Name: Roger Dyball

PreviousNext

Return to Gear