Piet's eTap2hw unit.............

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, JimN, dave robinson, George Geddes

Re: Piet's eTap2hw unit.............

Postby ErikMAMS » 02 Oct 2012, 13:26

AlanMcKillop wrote: See post 51 + This was setting 5 on Piets unit using the thumbwheel, there are 8 settings emulating various units.
Its description is; 'Meazzi Echomatic ll Classic'.
The second pot ( Red in my picture ) controls the level of heads 1,2 and 3 and the third pot (Yellow ) controls the level of head 4 on setting 5.
Pot 1 (Black) is level control and pot 4 ( Grey ) is feedback.[/b]
I think this now answers my query. :D

Alan, not really. For thumbwheel settings 1-4 the third/yellow pot functions as a 5 position switch selecting echo patterns (which replay heads are active and which head generates the feedback). should make quite a difference echowise.The available echo patterns differs for at each of the Meazzi's models emulated (Model J - F). Setting 5 is the Echomatic II which features only one echo pattern - but with variable head levels 1-2-3 vs 4 as described above.

Look up the doc posted by Ecca earlier in this thread (or maybe it's one of the other etap2hw threads) or go to Piet's site and look for the instruction pdf.

Erik
ErikMAMS

Postby AlanMcKillop » 02 Oct 2012, 13:36

Thanks Erik, I'll check it out in more detail when I get home and look for the documents :thumbup:
AlanMcKillop

Postby ecca » 02 Oct 2012, 14:49

My post 51 in this thread.
Taken from the Meazzi site.
With the exception of position 'D' it emulates exactly the Meazzi switch positions that control which head feedsback etc..
ecca

Postby David Martin » 02 Oct 2012, 19:12

A remarkable achievement by Piet and hid colleagues... And by Ecca too - nicely made Blossom...

Thanks too to Robbo for getting us started on the "right echo for the job"...

I'm lovin' it...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby Twang46 » 02 Oct 2012, 19:13

I also would like to add my thanks to Piet for generously including me as a part of his "team".

Things have moved on a fair old way now since the days in the early 60's when we played around with tape recorders trying to replicate the Shadows echo's :lol:

This project & it's predecessor the VST version has indeed been a "labour of love" for Piet over many years now and he has remained true to his "open source" work ethic & that has now brought affordable vintage echo's to all who wish them & has provided scope for expansion that people such as Ecca,Lars & Johan are now assembling as complete units to order, as well as the "production" model almost ready at Newtone.
This project will go "onward & upwards" as they say & I'm sure will become the "must have" machine for years to come.

Thank you Piet for envisaging, bringing to fruition, then sharing the Etap2hw.

Dick.
Twang46

Postby jbforrer » 02 Oct 2012, 21:37

Greetings,

Was quite educational and challenging being part of the original group. It was a lot of fun --- thanks for including me Piet!

Piet has done a great job putting a lot of research and experimentation into a piece of hardware; first mastering some eccentric DSP-processor code and then realizing all that Meazzi magic (also Long Tom & Space-echo stuff).

Please see the picture of my version below. Being an avid tinkerer, added a few bells and whistles:

1). Automation for a simplified user interface. I developed this using an Arduino-compatible module.
2). Input gain control ... found my humbucker-equipped guitars overload the DSP analog input easily. Instead of the suggested attentuator pot at the front-end, mine is inserted after the op-amp thus leaving the FET front-end to do it's job.

Best Regards,
Johan.
Attachments
eTap2hw-Automation 014.jpg
--Johan's eTap2hw with custom user interface--
(235.36 KiB) Downloaded 8566 times
jbforrer

Postby barry72 » 03 Oct 2012, 05:23

Hi to ALL Echo-Heads,dIYERS, & ALL MEMBERS ,,& to Our early Builders & tester Group mentioned by Piet in this thread ,I must say it was an exciting time for me as well as the the other Guys in the Group [named earlier by Piet] Great-stuff GUYS..
I would Like to thank PIET -V for the opportunity to be a part of this Wonderfull Etap-2-HW Project ,which started out a few years ago as an idea from PIET to supply a Parts only echo unit for All guitarist to be able to afford a Vintage unit Aimed at the Shadows sound ..
AS we all know PIET -& Jacob of Echotapper site have freely given much Advice & free patches [Jpatches] etc for a number of commercial Machines..
This project was a Great offering by PIET as a ''LABOUR_OF_LOVE'' project that has finally come to Reallity after over 400 hours of PIETS time in his ''DUNGEON'' as he calls his work-shop in the Netherlands..
PIET never gave up this project ,though personal health problems etc etc ..during that time ..
I am so happy to see this project getting the accolades it sincerely deserves ..
IT is a rare thing these days to get all this technical work given ''Freely'' to all who want's to build this vintage echo-unit -A budget unit with such high quality Shads Echo's ..
so PIET please ''Stand -Tall-mate'' as you have Achieved your original AIM ..
This project was a Real WORLD_WIDE_EFFORT-mainly from PIET of the Netherlands but early builders from all parts of the Globe ..
CHEERS from AUSTRALIA & may this unit be built by builders world-wide & a big THANKS once Again from ''THE-MAN''-PIET ''
BARRY..
barry72

Postby David Martin » 03 Oct 2012, 10:40

Whilst I understand Piet's "open-source" philosophy, I really would like to express my thanks to him in a tangible way. Maybe if other users felt the same, Piet would nominate a charity to which we could contribute?

How about it Piet?
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby ecca » 03 Oct 2012, 12:46

The Alan Bakewell Charitable Plectrum Fund.
ecca

Postby kipper » 03 Oct 2012, 16:10

i think that sounds a very good idea david.
kipper

PreviousNext

Return to Building Problems? Q&A