Session Guitarists

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Session Guitarists

Postby Pedro » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:44 pm

Looking through 'Big Jim Sullivans' website and he refers to Ernie Shear and another one by name of Judd Proctor. I seem to remember Judd Proctor playing at the Tower Ball Room , New Brighton around 1960. If memory serves me correctly he was billed as Judd 'Mr LoLa' Proctor.
Can anyone throw any light on this guitarist. Was Lola a record???
Pedro

Re: Session Guitarists

Postby bgohara » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:53 pm

I've heard him mentioned on here before - I know there's one or two of his tracks on Tony Hoffman's recent 'Instro Beat' CD - the first one (can't remember the name) is very 'dexterous'!
Think he may be been a session man and also played in one or two of the 'big bands'?! Others will know better of course.
bgohara

Full Real Name: Bernard O'Hara

Postby George Geddes » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:57 pm

Judd Proctor was indeed a guitarist - and still is! he was in the audience at last year's Pipeline Convention. The record you are thinking of is 'Nola', one of half a dozen singles he recorded under his own name (plus one album). Not to mention countless sessions, radio and tv appearances, and until recently he was part of the revived Bert Kaempfert Orchestra.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby JimN » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:13 am

As great a guitarist as Mr Proctor undoubtedly is (and I've been a fan for 44+ years), the title "Mr Nola" (correcting the spelling) is a tad unfair on the real Mr Nola, otherwise known as Les Paul (1915-2009; RIP).

I'm absolutely certain that Judd would be the first to defer to Les's incredible guitar version of that piano speciality (written by Felix Arndt):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzf7Ux9Q6iQ

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby cockroach » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:01 am

Judd also played guitar with the Ray Ellington Quartet on the Goon Shows. He did loads of radio and TV work in the '50's as well as record sessions.

He often used one of our Australian Maton top of the line archtop guitars with a pickup.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Apache1 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:00 pm

Judd Proctor, from Doncaster born 2nd Jan 1933
Originally played plectrum banjo but switched to acoustic guitar at 14, played gigs with local bands and won a regional Melody Maker contest with The Zetland Players. Did National Service with the RAF and while stationed at Maidstone played in Les Evans rehearsal band and took lessons from Ike Isaacs. After demob he did his first professional work with Peter Fielding at Nottingham Palais. Played summer seasons with various bands then then moved to London to join Norman Burns from February until July 1955. Member of Ray Ellington's Quartet for 6 years from July 55. Many radio dates included the Goon Show broadcasts.. Left Ray Ellington to concentrate on session work , playing for television radio, recordings etc. Took time out to tour Japan with Stanley Black1965 and to work with Benny Goodman on record and on various concerts in England 1971. Often in Don Lusher's big band during the late 70's and 80's but mainly occupied with session work in the 1990's. Early sponsor of the Hofner President guitar. National Dance band Championship original Zetland Players. name inspired by Zetland Road, Doncaster. I know him as Uncle Judd.
John
Apache1

Postby Mikey » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:04 pm

I may be wrong but I'm sure that in that great book "The Restless Generation" there is reference to Judd being Hank's guitar tutor. Can anyone confirm this? If not I'll have to trawl throught the book but I won't mind that!
Mikey

Postby bgohara » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:32 pm

Ludwig wrote:
bgohara wrote:I've heard him mentioned on here before - I know there's one or two of his tracks on Tony Hoffman's recent 'Instro Beat' CD - the first one (can't remember the name) is very 'dexterous'!
Think he may be been a session man and also played in one or two of the 'big bands'?! Others will know better of course.

Bernie,

I posted a YouTube link, a couple of months ago, from a 1970 Cliff TV show with Judd Proctor on guitar:

"I Saw The Light"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qdeKfl9LUo

It might have been that you saw.

Regards,
Phil.
Yes - Phil - I think you're right! Many thanks, Bernie
bgohara

Postby bgohara » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:36 pm

bgohara wrote:I've heard him mentioned on here before - I know there's one or two of his tracks on Tony Hoffman's recent 'Instro Beat' CD - the first one (can't remember the name) is very 'dexterous'!

http://www.instrumentalreview.com/instr ... obeat.html

the track I was thinking of on Tony's CD is called 'Cavaquinho' - see link above. great track (as is Bert Weedon's 'Red Guitar' - and I can't believe I've just said that..!!)
bgohara

Postby Moderne » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:21 pm

Mikey wrote:I may be wrong but I'm sure that in that great book "The Restless Generation" there is reference to Judd being Hank's guitar tutor. Can anyone confirm this? If not I'll have to trawl throught the book but I won't mind that!

Ike Isaacs - another great British jazz guitarist - is the only name I've ever heard of who's given Hank any guitar lessons. I'm also guessing he may have been the original link with Jim Burns, as I believe Ike had endorsed Burns guitars in the early 60s.

BTW The Plainsman by Judd Proctor is my favourite of all his Parlophone sides. He was also one of the "50 Fingers, Five Guitars" group that Ian Fraser put together for an early 60s Decca 'guitar orchestra' project.

Clive
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Next

Return to The Shadows